Dates

for your

Diary!


Summer Social

11th June 2016


Summer Outing

9th July 2016

Annual Dinner  October 8th 2016

Winter Outing on

2nd January  2016


AGM

14th February 2017

News!

QuickLinks

St Michael’s Church

CCCBR

Dove

W&P Guild

Changeringing Wiki

Ringing World

Campanophile

BellBoard

Methods


  

On This Page

Pages

Basingstoke

Terms and Conditions          Privacy Policy          Contact Us       

© St Michael’s Bell Ringers Basingstoke           Site Last Updated at 4:18 PM on 20 March 2016

Home

The Bells

Information about the Bells with a photograph gallery


Bell

Weight

Note

Diameter

Cast

Founder

Canons

1

3-3-27

F

25.75”

1938

John Taylor & Co

No

2

4-1-19

E

27.00”

1938

John Taylor & Co

No

3

4-3-17

D

28.50”

1938

John Taylor & Co

No

4

5-2-15

C

30.50”

1938

John Taylor & Co

No

5

6-3-27

B#

33.25”

1670

Henry II Knight

Yes

6

8-3-3

A

35.75”

c1558

John Saunders

Yes

7

11-0-26

G

35.75”

1602

R. Beconsall

(or R. Brooke)

Yes

8

14-1-10

F

42.75”

1938

John Taylor & Co

No

The Bells

St Michael’s has a fairly modern ring of eight bells in a generally excellent condition.  The bells were completely re-hung in 1938 into a steel frame, with Hastings stays, and steel roller bearings. There are three bells from the 16th and 17th century, ie the 5th, 6th and 7th [see History].  These bells have high arch headstocks to accommodate the height of the original canons that they retain.

Some of the bells remain odd-struck to some degree, notably the 3rd, 4th, 7th and tenor. Despite this, they go well and have a very pleasing sound with the newly cast bells integrating well with the old, original remain bells. There is extensive sound proofing between the belfry and the ringing chamber to ensure that sound levels in the ringing chamber are loud enough to hear the bells well yet still be able to hear instructions during the ringing.

The Ringing Chamber

The ringing chamber is relatively large with good seating and is recently completed a full refurbishment.

The ringing chamber is the location of the church turret clock made by Vulliamy in 1843 - see the History page.  The clock is mounted on a mezzanine to provide sufficient depth for the pendulum to swing without protruding into the church space below.

St Michael’s now has a ringing simulator that we use to good effect in the training of learners on a regular basis. This simulator is based on a Dell laptop running Abel with the sound of the bells played through speakers within the ringing chamber only.

Table of Bells


Photographs of St Michael’s Bells